- To provide cost effective breast screening for Nova Scotian women aged 50-60 (who numbered approximately 125,000 in 2010).
- To develop standards, guidelines and policies to support a decentralized model of breast screening at multiple sites throughout Nova Scotia.
- To monitor and evaluate dissemination, uptake, application and outcome of standards and guidelines.
- To review the delivery of certain clinical services.
- To provide continuing education for professionals and general education to the public.